Servings: 4-6 Prep: 10-15 minutes Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
When our families were young, Barbara used to host Christmas Eve dinners in her tiny cape cod house. We never had a sit-down dinner back then so we would be scattered all over the kitchen and living room with 25 adults and children, give or take, but who’s counting? Her shrimp scampi became a favorite part of Christmas Eve dinner but you don’t need to wait for a holiday to enjoy it. In our families, we usually serve this over pasta topped with Pecorino Romano grated cheese. 😋 😋
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon slices for garnish (may be omitted)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving the shell on the tail section only.
- Devein then wash under running cold water, and drain on paper towels.
- Melt butter in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish in the oven.
- Add the salt, garlic, and 2 Tablespoon parsley; mix well.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp. Sprinkle with lemon peel, lemon juice, and remaining parsley.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or just until tender. Do Not overcook shrimp or they will be tough. (If using smaller shrimp, cut down on the cooking time)
- Arrange shrimp on a heated serving platter. Pour garlic butter over all. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
Serve over linguini pasta†, rice or a nice crusty Italian bread to soak up the butter.
†If serving over pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water after cooking to add to the butter sauce before serving.
Variation: Try adding some bay scallops to the shrimp!