When our families were young, Barbara used to host Christmas Eve dinners in her tiny cape cod house. We never had a sit-down dinner back then so we would be scattered all over the kitchen and living room with 25 adults and children, give or take, but who’s counting?
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon slices for garnish (may be omitted)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving the shell on the tail section only.
- Devein then wash under running cold water, and drain on paper towels.
- Melt butter in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish in the oven.
- Add the salt, garlic, and 2 Tablespoon parsley; mix well.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp. Sprinkle with lemon peel, lemon juice, and remaining parsley.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or just until tender. Do Not overcook shrimp or they will be tough. (If using smaller shrimp, cut down on the cooking time)
- Arrange shrimp on a heated serving platter. Pour garlic butter over all. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
Serve over linguini pasta† , rice or a nice crusty Italian bread to soak up the butter.
†If serving over pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water after cooking to add to the butter sauce before serving.
Variation: Try adding some bay scallops to the shrimp!