- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO (to sauté onion & garlic)
- Drizzle of EVOO
- 2 lbs Neeses Country Style Hot Sausage (any type bulk sausage can be substituted i.e. Italian hot or sweet)
- 2 15 ounce cans Hunt’s tomato sauce (or any prepared sauce)
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of oregano, dried (on each squash)
- shredded Sargento cheddar† cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley for garnish, chopped
- Cut the squash in half lenghtwise & scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Drizzle EVOO over squash, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregeno.
- Lay squash face down in a large baking sheet then bake at 350ºF for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven & let cool.
- In a large skillet sauté the onion & garlic in 2 tablespoons of EVOO until translucent.
- Add the sausage & peppers, turning & breaking up the sausage until cooked.
- Drain the sausage mixture and set aside. Wipe out the excess oil/fat from skillet.
- Return sausage mixture to the skillet & add the Hunt’s tomato sauce then simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrape out squash with a fork to form “spaghetti strands”
- Add the cooked spaghetti strands to the sausage mixture , stir well and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
† Cheese Variations – you can substitute any shredded cheese of your choice in place of the cheddar i.e. mozzerella, swiss, gruyer, pepper jack, etc.
FYI – we had just enough left over spaghetti squash to use as a side dish so I broiled a pre-cooked Kielbasa and added a green salad. My husband loved it & wanted more!