Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Gluten-Free - Twiins Style
It's no secret our second favorite cuisine after Italian is Thai. Who can resist crispy, tender chicken bites coated in a scrumptious sweet chili & sesame seed sauce just like your favorite Thai restaurant? Since we haven't been going out during this pandemic, we wanted to reproduce the meals we would order at a restaurant. Tonight we served it over Jasmine brown rice which soaks up the flavorful sweet chili sauce. Our husbands gave us rave reviews so we hope your family will too. Try this recipe for a quick & easy weeknight meal or impress your friends & family with great appetizers once you can gather again. 😋😋
- deep skillet or wok
- oil for frying (peanut or canola or olive)
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1½ cups Thai sweet chili sauce (store-bought or homemade, check the label to make sure it’s GF)
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2-3 Tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted in a small, dry skillet
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Place brown jasmine rice in a medium bowl filled with cold water, enough to cover rice. Set aside for 20 minutes. (soaking in water helps breakdown the bran and keeps the rice from sticking together.)
- While the rice is soaking, use this time to start prepping the chicken & the remainder of ingredients.
- After 20 minutes, drain the rice and place in a medium saucepan. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a low simmer and cover. Cover and cook approximately 40 minutes, check after 30 minutes.
- Using a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt & pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg then roll into the flour mixture to coat well. Repeat with all of the chicken pieces.
- Heat about 3-inches of oil in a wok or deep skillet. Make sure oil is very hot before adding dredged chicken.
- Fry 5-8 pieces of chicken at a time, depending on the width of your skillet, until golden brown. Do not overcrowd as it will cause the chicken to steam instead of crisping.
- Remove and drain on paper towels then repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
- Heat chili sauce until hot. Pour over the chicken bites to combine. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
- Spread cooked rice on a plate and top with sweet chili chicken bites. Garnish with extra green onions and enjoy!
NOTE: If you want to include more vegetables in your meal, steam some broccoli or cut green beans and add to the chicken before serving.
HELP OUR BLOG GROW!
If you enjoyed trying one of our recipes, please give it a star rating at the bottom of the recipe page. This helps our recipe get a higher Google ranking and will lead others to find and enjoy our recipes too. Thanks so much for your support!
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twiinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.
Subscribe to Blog via Email