Easy Chicken Fajitas
With just three simple ingredients (aside from seasonings) you & your family can enjoy this juicy, flavorful chicken fajita meal any night of the week. If it weren't for the time it takes to properly caramelize the onions, this dish would go from prep to table in less than 30 minutes. The extra time it takes to slowly caramelize the onions is worth every extra minute. Enjoy! ❤️😋
- 1¾-2 lbs. skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3 bell peppers, sliced lengthwise, 1/2-inch thick (1 red, 1 yellow & 1 green, seeded & veins removed)
- 3 x-large onions (sweet or yellow), sliced lengthwise, 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano (optional)
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 3 pats salted butter
- In a large skillet heat butter & EVOO until hot. When hot enough place the sliced onions in the skillet and lower heat to low. Sprinkle with salt. Slowly cook until caramelized, approximately 45- 50 minutes, turning occasionally with a pair of tongs. When done, onions should be beautifully golden brown and soft, not burnt. Remove from skillet & set aside.
- In the same skillet add a little more EVOO. Add the sliced bell peppers and cook over high heat about 2 minutes to slightly char, then lower heat to medium-low and continue cooking covered until soft. Add cooked peppers to caramelized onions and set aside.
- In the same skillet add another teaspoon of EVOO. Heat on high then add the salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, and a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Add the chicken to hot skillet and sear on both sides. Lower the flame and add the onion and pepper mixture to combine well. Heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with heated flour tortillas (use gluten-free tortillas if gluten is an issue). Garnish with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
Notes: This meal can be gluten-free by substituting with gluten-free tortillas.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twiinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.