Gluten-Free Tuscan Bean Soup - Twiins Style
With the first spoonful of our savory Tuscan Bean Soup you will be swept away to Tuscany admiring the sunflowers. This is the same recipe as our regular Tuscan Bean Soup using gluten-free pasta & broth in place of regular. It’s chock full of vegetables, delicious flavor & of course love! Serve as a main meal for either lunch or dinner and don't forget the toasted crusty bread to soak up every last drop. Enjoy!
- 1 (28-oz) can San Marzano tomatoes, crush with clean hands
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 3 (15.5 oz) cans cannellini beans with liquid (divided into 3/4 and 1/4)
- 1 rounded tsp Hunt’s tomato paste with garlic & basil
- 1 leek, chopped (both white & green parts)
- 2 yellow onions, diced ( I was out of yellow onions so I substituted with red)
- 2 cups large celery stalks, large dice (about 3-4 ribs)
- 2 cups large carrots, large dice (about 5-6 peeled carrots)
- 8-10 garlic cloves, smashed then chopped (Add more or less to suit your taste.)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3-4 handfuls baby spinach, torn by hand (escarole or kale may be substituted)
- 4 cups chicken broth (gluten-free)
- 4 cups beef broth (gluten-free)
- 1 small piece of rind from a block of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 ounces gluten-free Ditalini pasta (any small GF pasta may be substituted.)
- Pecorino Romano, freshly grated cheese (Locatelli), or Parmigiano-Reggiano (not the stuff in the green container, please!)
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, add the EVOO. When EVOO is hot enough add the leeks, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and salt & pepper. Sauté on medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, spinach, cheese rind, and 3/4 of the canned beans. Cook for another 3 minutes on medium-low flame until fragrant. Using an immersion blender, blend the remaining 1/4 beans then add to the pot and stir.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well.
- Add the hand crushed tomatoes, both broths & stir well. Add 3 oz of GF ditalini to the soup. (If you’re making more than 3 oz of GF pasta, we recommend you cook it separately & add right before serving.)
- Bring to a slow boil. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and simmer about 40-45 minutes or until vegetable are done.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the GF ditalini pasta following package directions.
- Ladle soup into bowls & add the pasta. Sprinkle with grated Locatelli cheese (Pecorino Romano). Enjoy!
Note: Please make sure all your canned ingredients are gluten-free.
You can double this recipe for a big batch to freeze for later use. Just don’t add the pasta before freezing.