Mediterranean Style Cod over Couscous
While relaxing on my front porch after repotting some plants today, Teresa pulled up with some cod for tonights dinner. Cod is one of those fish that takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with making a Mediterranean style dinner absolutely delicious. We were wondering what we had on hand to make with it and I found a half-full jar of pearl couscous! We had some grape tomatoes, plenty of garlic, onions, & feta cheese, along with a garden full of fresh herbs. We set about making dinner. We've said this before and it's very true...some of the best dinners we make are thrown together with what we have on hand. This dinner turned out fabulous...we were counting on leftovers but NONE were to be had!😋❤️
For the Cod
- 2½ pounds fresh cod fillets
- salt & pepper to taste
- garlic powder to sprinkle lightly over fish
- 1 sprig fresh greek oregano, chopped (approximately 1 Tablespoon)
- 2-pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- EVOO to drizzle over fish and tomatoes & garlic
For the Couscous
- 1¾ cups pearl couscous (also known as Israeli couscous)
- 2¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 6-8 large cloves garlic peeled & minced
- fresh baby spinach (a few handfuls)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Feta cheese (we use President’s Chunk)
- In a large skillet add the Israeli/pearl couscous to a dry, hot skillet. Gently stir to prevent burning. After a few minutes, the couscous will start to brown. Do not burn. Not all the couscous will brown & that’s ok.
- Add the chicken stock, cover, and cook about 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove cover and set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the onions until they start to caramelize then add garlic & cook another minute. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add the cooked onions & garlic to the couscous. Stir well. Cover and set aside until fish is done.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Turn oven to broil. Once hot, reduce the oven temperature to 425º.
- Coat the grape tomatoes & whole cloves of garlic with 1 Tablespoon of EVOO. Sprinkle with salt. Combine well. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on the top oven rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, until tomatoes blister & garlic is soft.
- Remove from the oven when done. Using a fork or a wooden spoon, smash the garlic. Take half the tomatoes plus the juice and garlic then add to couscous, mixing well.
- Just before serving, crumble & add the Feta cheese to the couscous and combine.
- Using the same rimmed baking sheet, drizzle EVOO and arrange the pieces of cod on sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt & pepper, chopped fresh greek oregano. Drizzle lightly with EVOO and place on center rack of 425º oven.
- Cook 10-16 minutes, depending on the thickness of cod until it’s opaque & flakes.
- To serve, place cooked couscous mixture on a serving platter and top with fish fillets. Sprinkle with remaining blistered tomatoes & garlic. Garnish with sprigs of fresh oregano & thyme.
Notes: To make this Gluten-free for Jack, we served him brown rice with quinoa as a substitute for couscous. He loved it.