Gluten-Free Mediterranean Style Fish Stew
Yesterday I saw codfish at my local supermarket's fish counter and thought how good that would be with some zucchini & chunks of San Marzano tomatoes that we both already had on hand. It was late Friday afternoon & both Barbara and I wanted to make a really simple & quick meal. This fish stew is naturally gluten-free...(My husband Jack has celiac disease so gluten-free cooking is a way of life for me.) We label it GF as a reminder that eating GF can be delicious and healthy.
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 3-3½ lbs fresh Cod
- 1 large sweet onion, halved & thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled & smashed, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt (omit if salt sensitive)
- 6 Tablespoons EVOO, divided 4 & 2
- dash of pepper to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 large Green olives with pimento, cut in half
- 12 pitted Greek black olives, cut in half (Kalamata olives)
- Pecorino Romano, grated for topping ( contrary to the old belief that you shouldn’t use cheese with fish…it’s delicious)
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Using your hands, crush the San Marzano tomatoes, reserve liquid & set aside.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels then cut into 4-5 inch pieces.
- In a large deep skillet heat 2 Tablespoons of EVOO on med-high heat. Add half the codfish and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet & set aside. Repeat with second half of fish then remove & set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining EVOO over med-high heat, add onions, oregano, zucchini, garlic, salt, and pepper until tender.
- Add tomatoes and liquid to skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cod and bring back to a boil, spooning sauce over top. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered just until fish begins to flake easily with a fork, about 5-7 minutes, no more.
- Sprinkle with parsley and grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
Note: Serve with crusty bread. This also makes a wonderful meal served over your favorite pasta or rice.
One thought on “Gluten-Free Mediterranean Style Fish Stew”
On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Twiins in the Kitchen 2019 wrote:
> Twiins in the Kitchen posted: ” Back to top” >