Barbara is on a healthy keto diet so naturally, she wanted to turn Grandma Tessie’s Cauliflower Frittata into a healthy keto dish. This is just as good as Grandma’s original but it’s keto, low-carb, and gluten-free. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or a side for dinner, plus it’s delicious and very healthy.
We recommend Penzeys Tuscan Sunset Salt Free Italian Seasoning for this recipe because it’s the best blend of herbs we’ve come across, is delicious, and doesn’t overpower the dish. If you’ve never used Penzeys spices before, please give them a try. We do not get paid by Penszeys but we really do love their herbs and spices.
Keto Cauliflower Frittata
- 1 Frittata Pan
- 1 bowl
- 1 3/4 cup size measuring cup
- 1 very large skillet
- 1 9" pie pans or serving dishes
- 1 measuring teaspoon
- 1 small head of cauliflower florets only,
- 1/2 large sweet onions sliced medium to thin
- 2-3 Tablespoons EVOO as needed
- 1/4 cup Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- 7 large eggs
- 2 medium garlic cloves smashed
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- dash ground black pepper
- 1 - 1½ tsp Penzeys Tuscan Sunset this is a salt-free Italian-style seasoning. Regular Italian seasoning can be used in place of Penzeys but Penseys Tuscan Sunset is delicious and mild.
- Wash and pat dry the cauliflower head then cut the florets and discard stems.
- Slice onions lengthwise and set aside.
- Smash garlic cloves and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the Parmegiano-Reggiano & Pecorino Romano grated cheeses, eggs, and Tuscan Sunset seasoning. Beat well then set aside.
- In a very large skillet, add 2 Tablespoons of EVOO until hot (medium heat). Add the onions and caramelize to a golden brown.
- Once caramelized, add a bit more EVOO then add the raw cauliflower florets with the smashed garlic. Season with pink Himalayan salt & black pepper to taste. Cover and cook for about 8-10 minutes until cauliflower is cooked but not mushy. Remove from heat.
- Heat the larger bottom part of the frittata pan then add 1 Tablespoon of EVOO plus a little to coat the top frittata pan. When hot enough add the cauliflower & onions to cover the bottom of the pan.
- On a medium-low flame, add the egg mixture. Place the oiled frittata cover on top and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the pan over and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the larger pan that's on top then slide the frittata from the upper pan into a 9" pie plate or serving dish. Garnish with some grated cheese and a sprig of fresh parsley if desired.
- Cauliflower Frittatas can be frozen and then thawed before heating up in a microwave or oven.
Please note: Although the Nutritional Facts are provided, we are not nutritionists and therefore cannot verify the accuracy of these calculations. Please verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.