Spaghetti Squash Beef Lasagna - Twiins Style - Gluten-Free
You will not believe this healthy lasagna is as satisfying as the traditional one made with lasagna noodles, but it definitely is! It is filled with a blend of creamy ricotta, mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, basil & is layered with ground beef as well as our homemade tomato sauce. You build the layers just like traditional lasagna only replace the noodles with cooked & seasoned spaghetti squash & topped with sliced mozzarella. This dish has it all...can be made ahead, freezer friendly and perfect for a crowd. Our family loves it and so will yours. Enjoy!
- 2 med to large spaghetti squash (cut lengthwise and seeded)
- light drizzle of EVOO over each half of the squash before seasoning & baking.
- dried oregano to sprinkle over squash before baking
- salt & pepper to sprinkle over squash before baking
- garlic powder to sprinkle over squash before baking
- 2 lbs. ground beef (85/15 or leaner)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4-6 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 32 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 3/4 cup grated Locatelli cheese (Pecorino Romano)
- 16 ounces whole milk mozzarella, shredded or leave some slices for top layer
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2-3 cups prepared tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise & remove seeds.
- Lightly drizzle each half with EVOO then season with salt, pepper, dried oregano & garlic powder (the more the tastier). Place each half face down onto foiled baking sheet and bake until soft when touched (about 30-40 minutes)
- While the squash is baking, heat a large skillet. When the pan is hot add the ground beef and brown. Add the smashed garlic and onions and cook until softened.
- Drain fat and set aside in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, half the shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, salt & pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder. Mix well then add chopped basil. combine and set aside.
- Removed the squash from the oven when soft and let cool. Once cool use 2 forks to shred it then add to a colander to drain excess liquid. Set aside until ready to layer your lasagna.
- Lower oven temperature to 350ºF.
- In a lasagna pan or casserole dish, place a light layering of tomato sauce. Take enough forkfuls of shredded squash and place on top of sauce. Spready evenly. Sprinkle with some grated Pecorino Romano.
- Layer half of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly.
- Layer with cooked ground beef mixture. Sprinkle with grated Pecorino Romano.
- Add tomato sauce to cover lightly. Sprinkle with grated Pecorino Romano.
- Repeat for the second layer and top with remaining shredded or sliced mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with Locatelli cheese, then a try light drizzle of EVOO on top.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Best served with a nice Italian salad on the side.
Note: May be substituted with ‘Beyond Beef Crumbles’ in place of ground beef for a meatless meal.