Butternut Squash & Zucchini Spirals with Sweet Italian Sausage-Gluten-Free Twiins Style
We strive to prepare healthy meals that are big on flavor, have fresh ingredients, are quick to prepare and very satisfying. Barbara & I love vegetables but our hubbies are extreme carnivores! This makes it challenging for us to balance our meals so we all can enjoy them. I had the squash spirals & sausage on hand and we created this meal which ticks off all of the boxes. The addition of a small amount of Gluten-free spaghetti added to the mix of spiralized squash certainly made it satisfying for all. So, if you also have a carnivore you want to help eat healthier give this recipe a try...Our carnivores loved it and so did Barbara and I. Enjoy!😋❤️
- 10 Sweet Italian Sausage links, cut into bite-size pieces (1/4 inch slices)
- 12 oz zucchini spirals, (pre-spiralized save time & are sold in the supermarket produce section)
- 12 oz butternut squash spirals, (pre-spiralized save time & are sold in the supermarket produce section)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 6-8 large garlic cloves
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz Barilla Gluten-free thin spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- Parmigiano Reggiano to sprinkle on top
- Fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then add salt. While the butternut squash & zucchini are cooking, add 6oz of thin spaghetti to boiling, salted water, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Slice each sausage link into bite-size pieces or 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat a very large skillet to medium heat & drizzle with EVOO. When hot enough, add the sliced sausage and brown on both sides. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
- Add additional EVOO and saute onions, tomatoes & bell peppers.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the spiralized butternut squash & zucchini. Mix well to combine. Cook covered until softened (about 8-10 minutes)
- Take the cooked pasta and add it to the skillet. Toss gently.
- Place in a serving platter and garnish with fresh basil and Parmigiano Reggiano.
Notes: If gluten isn’t an issue no need to use gluten-free ingredients.