Easy Breakfast Spinach Fritters
Barbara and I have been in a breakfast rut lately...sick of the same old oatmeal, cereal, plain eggs or just a cup of coffee. During these times of social distancing and staying at home, more than ever we need to be creative in the kitchen and treat ourselves to some fun ways to enjoy breakfast. While making chicken parmigiana for dinner the other night we had some leftover egg mixture, breadcrumbs, and some baby spinach leaves. Just by adding a few simple ingredients, we came up with a make-ahead breakfast meal we could enjoy the next morning. It was so easy and is sure to please. Any leftover cooked vegetable will work in this recipe...zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, peas or any combination of your favorite veggies. You can make these as a side for any meal too. Be creative and Enjoy! ❤️😋
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon milk (any milk will do)
- 6-7 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs (substitute Gluten-Free seasoned breadcrumbs if gluten is an issue)
- 3 tablespoons Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 oregano
- 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed, chopped into medium size bites
- 1-2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt + /- to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pat of butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons of EVOO
- In a medium bowl add 4 large eggs and the milk. Whisk until scrambled well.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme, oregano, garlic, bread crumbs, and grated cheese. Mix well and set aside for 10-15 minutes for the breadcrumbs to absorb liquid. You should have a medium liquid texture, not a thick paste.
- In a large skillet heat butter & EVOO until hot on medium heat. When oil & butter start to sizzle, using a large tablespoon, drop mixture into the hot skillet. No more than 4 at a time. Cook 1-1½ minutes until golden brown. Flip over and cook another 1-1½ minutes until golden brown. If browning to quickly lower the heat a bit.
- Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain & cool completely.
- Once cooled pack in an airtight glass or plastic food storage container and refrigerate. These fritters will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator if they don’t disappear on the first day!
- These can actually be served cold or heated in a toaster oven or microwave.
Notes: These fritters can be made gluten-free by substituting with gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs.