When it comes to side vegetables, broccoli is probably our go too choice. It's delicious with oil and garlic, lemon juice or just butter. It can get boring so why not kick it up a notch or two? Since we love broccoli and cheese, making a broccoli gratin was the perfect way to combine both and get rid of the boring. This is a creamy, delicious side dish that's very satisfying. It's always a big hit with our family and friends and we think you'll love it too. Enjoy!❤️❤️
- 2 lbs. fresh broccoli, cut into small florets (about 4 heads or 8 cups)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to grease baking dish
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- Pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup flavored bread crumbs (for a gluten-free version, substitute bread crumbs with gluten-free bread crumbs)
- Place rack in the middle of your oven. Pre-heat oven to 450ºF.
- Butter an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish
- On medium heat, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the milk, salt, and nutmeg then bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the white sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes, maybe less.
- Season with pepper and remove from heat.
- Bring about 1-inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Set up with a collapsible steamer on top. Place the broccoli in the steamer and season with salt. Cover and steam until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes, less if florets are very small.
- Place the broccoli in the prepared baking dish, sprinkle with half the shredded cheese.
- Pour the white sauce over broccoli & cheese then top with remaining shredded cheese.
- In a small skillet melt the remaining Tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the gratin then bake until lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Notes: You may use all cheddar cheese if you prefer or mix cheddar with swiss. Experiment with your favorite soft cheeses.
Recipe adapted from Food Network Kitchens.