Fried Calamari - Gluten-Free
Whenever we go out together for dinner we always order fried calamari if it's on the menu. Unfortunately for Jack, restaurants never make it gluten-free. This leaves him feeling left out and having to settle for soup or salad. We decided to test a gluten-free batch that he would enjoy at home. Turns out they were so good you can't tell the difference. So if any of your loved ones need to eat gluten-free, give this recipe a try. Who needs restaurants when you can serve up a tender batch in no time at all!
- 1 lb calamari – fresh or frozen & thawed.
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Flour
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- dipping sauce of your choice (Red Chili Pepper Spread, marinara sauce, chipotle mayo, etc.)
- Rinse under cold water and dry the calamari well using paper towels or a clean dishtowel. Slice into 1/2-inch rings.
- In a medium bowl, mix the gluten-free flour and seasonings. Combine well.
- Toss rings into the flour mixture to coat well.
- Fry small batches at a time in hot vegetable oil for 1½ – 2 minutes; don’t exceed 2 minutes or they will be overcooked & rubbery. They should be a pale golden color.
- When cooked, remove quickly to paper towels to drain excess oil then repeat for the next batch.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or eat them just as they are.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twiinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.
2 thoughts on “Fried Calamari – Gluten-Free”
I tried this recipe for an appetizer tonight. It really was very easy and didn’t take long to make. They came out delicious and were a big hit with my family. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’ll be making it often! Merry Christmas twins.
Thank you Cannolilover2 for trying our recipe for fried calamari. So happy you and your guests enjoyed it. We appreciate your kind words and feedback.