Mussels Fra Diavolo
About ten years ago Gary requested Mussels Fra Diavolo to be included in our Christmas Eve dinner. Our father & husbands love the hot & spicy sauce the mussels are cooked in. We serve it over linguine or angel hair pasta. It's an easy & quick recipe that you can make as hot as you like (read Note below before step 2) . The lovers of HEAT in your family will definitely enjoy this sauce. 😋 😋
- 1½ heads of garlic
- 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- 1½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 4 shakes cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 3 (28 oz) cans San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup capers, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted & chopped (optional)
- 3-4 lbs mussels, cleaned & debearded
- 1 can sliced Scungilli (optional)
- 2 shakes of black pepper
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the EVOO on medium-low.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stir well.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, capers, olives & wine.
- Break up the tomatoes and simmer about 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- In the meantime, cook your linguine or angel hair pasta.
- Raise sauce heat to medium and add the mussels. Cover & continue cooking another 3-6 minutes more or until mussels are open.
- Add the can of sliced scungilli if using. (These are already cooked so they don’t need more than 1 minute in the sauce)
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve over pasta & enjoy.
Note: If your not a lover of heat, sprinkle half the hot red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper first then give it a good stir. Taste it & proceed from there. You can always add heat but you can’t take it away!
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twiinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.
4 thoughts on “Mussels Fra Diavolo”
Love the heat!
MY FAMILY AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ON THIS MENU!!! I WILL BE USING THESE RECIPES THIS CHRISTMAS EVE!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING 🙂
Tracy, thanks so much for loving our Christmas Eve Menu. We hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do. As always, please let us know how you like the recipes. Thank you for your support.