Both our husbands love this German potato salad with its irresistable bacon flavor & dijon vinegar dressing. This can be served hot or cold; either way, it’s delicious.
- 3 lbs baby red potatoes skin on (any baby potatoes can be substituted)
- 1 lb uncured bacon, crispy & crumbled
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 tsp water
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1½ Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ Tablespoons sugar
- Pink Himalayan Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 8 scallions (green onions), sliced
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Wash potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and season with salt.
- Bring the water to a boil cooking until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, approx. 12-15 minutes….careful not to overcook.
- Drain well and let cool to touch. Slice potatoes to the desired thickness and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Reserve about 2-3 Tablespoons of bacon fat in skillet.
- Add finely chopped red onion to the skillet & sauté until tender and translucent. Whisk in apple cider vinegar, water, EVOO, dijon mustard, and sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then quickly lower the heat to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in sliced scallions and 3/4 of crumbled bacon. Pour over potatoes, toss gently to combine, top with remaining bacon crumbles and serve. Garnish with parsley if desired. Can be served hot or cold.