Gluten-Free, Low Carb
If you love ravioli or lasagna and want to cut down on carbs this is the recipe you’ve been waiting for! Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s so easy to make. Zucchini makes a great substitute for the traditional lasagna noodle or ravioli while delivering that classic Italian flavor. It can be layered like lasagna or folded into a ravioli style. Trust us…you will not be disappointed.
- 2 cups ricotta, whole milk
- 4 medium zucchini ( if making lasagna, add more zucchini for more than 2 layers)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, thinly sliced & divided
- EVOO for greasing casserole or baking dish
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Lightly drizzle EVOO into a large casserole or baking dish.
- Add a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce and spread evenly.
- Wash zucchini and cut off ends.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise then, use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice each zucchini into flat strips. (stop peeling when you reach the center or slices will get too narrow).
- In a medium bowl mix the ricotta, egg, Pecorino Romano, garlic, 2 Tablespoons basil, and season with salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
Lasagna Option: Spoon a few tablespoons of tomato sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish or lasagna pan.
- Lay strips of zucchini noodles in bottom of the baking dish so that they overlap lengthwise.
- Spoon about half the ricotta mixture over zucchini and gently spread over noodles.
- Spoon a little tomato sauce over the filling and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella on top and repeat layers, ending with mozzarella on top.
- Bake on middle rack until cheese is melted and starting to brown lightly about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining basil and grated cheese. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving. If too much liquid from the zucchini is present use a turkey baster to remove excess.
Ravioli Option: Spoon a few tablespoons of tomato sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish or lasagna pan.
- Using 4 strips of zucchini, place 2 slightly overlapping on a flat surface in a vertical position. Place the other 2 strips horizontally to form an even cross.
- Spoon approximately 1 Tablespoon of ricotta mixture in the center of the zucchini cross.
- Starting from the top fold down strips to cover the mixture. Repeat with the 3 remaining sides. Place seam side down into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, basil, and top with mozzarella.
- Bake at 375º F oven on middle rack for approximately 15-20 minutes until cheese melts and starts to brown lightly.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining basil and grated cheese. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. If too much liquid from the zucchini is present use a turkey baster to remove excess.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.