Greek Chicken Souvlaki with Yogurt Honey Mustard Sauce
When I was working, we frequently ordered lunch from a wonderful nearby deli that made the best chicken souvlaki. Whenever I went out for Greek cuisine, it was their souvlaki & tzatziki sauce I used as a comparison. This recipe is delicious, easy to make & definitely worth including in your dinner rotations. Enjoy! 😋 😋
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200 g brine
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- lettuce chopped
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced & carmelized
- grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Kalamata olives, sliced
- Feta cheese, small block (crumble into large pieces)
- 6 Greek Pita Breads (click on the link for delicious homemade recipe)
Ingredients For the Chicken Brine:
- 550 ml water
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 35 g course salt
- 2 cloves of garlic with skin on, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon peppercorns
Ingredients For the Yogurt Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons Greek yogurt, full fat
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon juice of 1 lime
For the Chicken Brine:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add all the ingredients for the brine in a medium saucepan. Stir & bring to a boil. Remove from heat once it comes to a full boil and set aside for 1 hour.
- Strain into a bowl once completely cooled. Discard all but the liquid.
- Chop the chicken into small bite-size pieces and add to the brine. Soak for 30 minutes but no more than 1 hour.
Cooking the chicken on skewers:
- Remove chicken pieces from the brine and drain well. Dry off completely with paper towels. All the moisture needs to be drained.
- Thread the chicken onto wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. Add a drizzle of EVOO onto a very hot griddle, place skewers of chicken onto hot griddle and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once browned place the griddle with the chicken skewers directly onto the center rack in the oven for 5 minutes. (Make sure your griddle is oven-proof, if not place on tin foil)
- At the same time, place the prepared Greek Pita Bread on the bottom rack after drizzling the pita bread lightly with EVOO. Season with salt & pepper. Bake 5 minutes.
Yogurt Honey Mustard Sauce:
- While the pita bread & chicken are warming, combine all the ingredients for the yogurt honey mustard sauce in a small bowl.
On a large serving platter, place the warmed pita bread and serve the chicken souvlaki with chopped tomatoes, caramelized onions, lettuce, feta, kalamata olives, and the yogurt honey mustard sauce. You can also try it with tzatziki sauce in place of yogurt honey mustard or combine both together.
Notes: Homemade Authentic Greek Pita Bread is by far the best tasting you can have and it’s so easy to make yourself…really! Give it a try.
Recipes adapted from Akis Petretzikis.