Gluten-Free Lobster Seafood Chowder - Twiins Style
If you're a lobster & seafood lover, this chowder is a must-try. It's filled with lobster, jumbo lump crab meat, shrimp, corn kernels, all delivered in a silky, creamy texture that's loaded with seafood flavor. (When we made this batch we were out of carrots so you won't see any in the photo. We never missed them; however, they do add a pleasant sweetness when included). One spoonful and you'll be transported to the waterfronts of Maine or Cape Cod.
- 2 -3 Tablespoons butter
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 3 large carrots, sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1½ Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2” cubes.
- 1 -2 Tablespoon Old Bay® Seasoning Blend. (to taste)
- 6 Tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill® Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (regular flour if gluten-free not needed)
- 2 cups lobster broth (Better than Bouillon Lobster Base -2 tsp mixed in 16 oz. hot water)
- 1 – 15.25 oz. corn kernels drained well or frozen can be used
- 1 lb. lobster meat, cooked and cut into large chunks
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat (we use Phillips)
- 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 8-oz. bottle clam juice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- Chop vegetables and set aside.
- Add butter into a large deep stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well for 1 minute. Then add the onion, celery, thyme, salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, and potatoes.
- Cook vegetables 5 -6 minutes, then sprinkle in flour a little at a time. Cook mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the flour is no longer visible.
- Stir in the milk, half & half, lobster broth, and clam juice into the onion/potato mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are softened about 6-8 minutes.
- At this point, the soup should be nicely thickened. If you like thinner soup add a little more broth, 1/8 cup at a time.
- Add lobster, crabmeat, shrimp & corn.
- Stir well to combine.
- Continue to simmer until shrimp are pink and opaque, no longer grayish and translucent. Do not overcook.
- Taste. Add additional salt, pepper, or Old Bay to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with gluten-free crackers, hot sauce, or sliced scallions.
- If serving buffet style, keep chowder warm in a crockpot on the keep warm setting.
Note: If you like more corn in your chowder, just add another can or frozen kernels.