Zucchini Shrimp Boats
With zucchini being so plentiful we’re always trying to come up with new ways to prepare them. Usually, we make zucchini boats stuffed with sausage, and while they are delicious we’ve been trying to incorporate healthier substitutes for sausage & red meat. So, while going through the freezer I found a 2 lb. bag of frozen large uncooked shrimp (from Costco) and decided to make the zucchini boats using the shrimp. This simple recipe came out delicious...mimicking a creamy shrimp scampi minus the pasta. It’s naturally gluten-free and oh so good!😋❤️
- 4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 lbs. large shrimp
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Score the inside leaving a bit of an edge, then scoop out zucchini flesh and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Place each zucchini in a large casserole dish and drizzle with EVOO. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves, salt, pepper, & garlic powder to taste. Bake about 20 minutes in the preheated oven until tender. (Keep oven on because you will return the filled zucchini boats to finish baking)..
- While zucchini is baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add EVOO.
- Add shrimp & season with salt & pepper. Cook until pink 3-4 minutes turning once. Remove from heat and let cool enough to handle then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add reserved zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic then cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Return chopped shrimp to skillet & add heavy cream, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, & lemon juice. Cook until slightly reduced about 3-4 minutes.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the shrimp mixture & top with mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Cook until cheese bubbles, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley & more Parmigiano Reggiano. (optional)
- Serve immediately and wait for the compliments! ❤️
Notes: Serve as a main dish with a side salad and crusty bread.