- 2 28-ounce cans San Marzano whole tomatoes (break up with your hands or a ricer)
- 1 lb Italian sweet or hot sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil leaves (cook in sauce plus some for garnish)
- Pour 2 tablespoons EVOO in heavy duty 8-quart pot
- When the oil is hot, add sausage links and brown both sides
- Remove browned sausage links and set aside.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned and translucent
- Add garlic and stir well for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, butter, oregano, and a few basil leaves , and the browned sausages.
- Stir well and often to prevent burning on the bottom while simmering for at least 1 hour (the longer it cooks the better)
- When done, remove the sausage links that can be saved for a different meal or serve with your favorite pasta dish.