Mediterranean Steak Bowls, Gluten-Free
I was looking in my freezer to see what I could make for dinner without having to go the market. I found 2 small NY strip steaks that I defrosted for Gary to grill on the barbeque. I had most of the other ingredients for this delicious and healthy dinner. The best part...it's served all in one bowl. You can make this with what you have on hand, including chicken, beef, or lamb for the protein. The yogurt dressing is wonderful and blends all the flavors together. I could eat this dish every night of the week...it's that good. Give it a try.
For the Bowls:
- 1 lb. NY strip steak (may substitute with flank steak, sirloin steak, chicken breast or lamb)
- 2 tsp EVOO
- salt, pepper, garlic powder (to season steak)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped to your size liking (about 12 cups)
- 1 large cucumber, quartered & cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely sliced or chopped
- 1-pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup hummus (I used Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus & added 1 clove finely minced garlic)
- 1/2 cup crumbled fetta cheese
- lemon wedges (optional)
For the Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used Cabot Greek whole milk yogurt)
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh mint, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried mint)
For the Dressing:
- In a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk together. Place in the fridge until ready to use. This dressing can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
For the Bowls:
- Preheat the grill to high heat (approximately 450ºF).
- Pat the steak with paper towels until dry. Brush steaks with EVOO then sprinkle with salt, pepper & a little garlic powder.
- When the grill is hot enough, place the steak on the grill for 3 minutes then flip and grill an additional 3 minutes for medium-rare or until an instant-read thermometer reads 140ºF. Grill longer for thicker steak. Our steaks were about 1-inch thick before grilling.
- Remove steak from the grill and allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Slice thin against the grain.
- While the steak is resting, divide the chopped lettuce between 4 bowls. Top with sliced steak, red onions, hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese.
- Spoon yogurt dressing on top and garnish with optional lemon wedges.
Notes: In place of slicing the red onion thin, you can cut them into 1-inch pieces & place on skewers with the tomatoes. Grill for about 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally until tomatoes start to blister & onions are softened.
Recipe adapted from Jessica Beacom.