Fish Fillet Roll-ups with Stewed Tomatoes
Who knew our Mom was cooking the Mediterranean Diet style long before it was ever acknowledged to be such a healthy way of eating? She used to prepare flounder fillets this way in order to disguise the fish so we would eat it. She was really onto something as we thought it tasted like pizza! I guess she fooled us alright...we loved it! Our local fish market was out of flounder but the cod looked great & was on sale so we adapted Mom's recipe using the fresh cod. If fresh fish isn't available where you live, by all means, use frozen and make sure you defrost it thoroughly & remove any bones before preparing. If your little ones don't like fish try telling them they're 'pizza style roll-ups' and give them a try. We won't tell!
- 2½ – 3 lbs white fish fillets (cod or flounder) fresh or frozen & thawed
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4- 1/2 cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs (or gluten-free bread crumbs if gluten is an issue)
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano plus more for topping
- 1 tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons or more Pecorino Romano grated cheese
- EVOO to drizzle over fillets & casserole dish
- 2 cans Stewed tomatoes with juice
- large toothpicks to seal fillets while baking
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle a little EVOO over each fillet. Rub the minced garlic on each fillet then sprinkle all seasonings starting with salt, pepper, oregano, bread crumbs, and grated cheese.
- In a 2 quart casserole, drizzle a small amount of EVOO on the bottom of the dish. Roll-up each fillet and place in casserole.
- Pour the stewed tomatoes over the fish roll-ups then place a large toothpick into each fillet to prevent them from opening. Sprinkle additional oregano, salt & pepper on top of the stewed tomatoes.
- Place in preheated oven and bake at 400ºF until fish flakes, about 20-25 minutes. Remember, these fillets are rolled up so they will take longer to flake.
- Remove from casserole and plate with your favorite salad and vegetable.
HELP OUR BLOG GROW!
If you enjoyed trying one of our recipes, please give it a star rating at the bottom of the recipe page. This helps us our recipe get a higher Google ranking and will lead others to find and enjoy our recipes too. Thanks so much for your support!
Subscribe to Blog via Email