Mom's Christmas Eve Flounder
Our Christmas Eve dinner always included our Mom's delicious flounder dish which she made every Christmas Eve as long as we can remember. In keeping with our Italian heritage, of course it's made with mozzarella, Pecorino Romano cheese, seasoned breadcrumbs, butter, white wine, herbs, and garlic... lots of garlic! Christmas Eve just wouldn't be the same without it. Mom's handwritten recipe listed ingredients only... no measurements so our first attempt was a disaster!!! We knew it was missing something but we weren't quite sure what it was because we followed her ingredient list to the letter. We finally realized the missing ingredient was garlic... she obviously thought it was a given & not necessary to write it down! We're happy to share this family favorite with you and hope your family enjoys it as much as our family does. ❤️❤️
- 2-2½ lbs flounder fillets (all skin & bones removed)
- salted butter
- 5 Tablespoons Italian seasoned bread crumbs (about 1½ Tablespoons for each layer; more or less to taste)
- 3 tsp dried oregano (1 tsp for each layer)
- 3 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp for each layer)
- 6 Tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (about 2 Tablespoons per layer; more or less to taste)
- 8 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- salt & pepper to taste, optional
- 3 Tablespoons Chardonnay wine
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Grease a 24-ounce oval au gratin dish (or an 8 x 8-inch glass pyrex) baking dish with butter. (We used Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware 24-Ounce Oval Au Gratin Dish)
- Place fish fillets to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place a few small pats of butter on fish fillets.
- Spread 1/3 of the garlic over the fish fillets.
- Sprinkle with dried thyme and oregano.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese to cover fish.
- Sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 3 – 8 for two more layers. (There should be 3 layers in total)
- Top with small pats of butter and sprinkle 3 Tablespoons of Chardonnay on top.
- Bake at 400ºF until fish flakes, approximately 25-30 minutes.
Notes: For a gluten-free version use Gluten-Free Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs.@twiinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.