Irish Soda Bread with Smoked Salmon & Chive Butter
Get ready for St. Patrick's Day with this amazing appetizer. Smoked salmon topped with chive butter & dill ... all sitting atop a delicious piece of Irish soda bread. Your guests will devour this and the compliments will be endless! 😋☘️
- 1 loaf Irish Soda Bread, recipe follows
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8-ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- Fresh dill, for garnish
Irish Soda Bread Ingredients
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 1¾ cups cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 extra-large egg
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 cup dried currents mixed with 1 Tablespoon of flour
Irish Soda Bread Directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment. Add butter & mix on low speed until butter is mixed into the flour & resembles peas.
- Shake the buttermilk before pouring into a 2-3 cup measuring cup. Lightly beat the buttermilk, egg, & orange zest with a fork. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour just to blend. Don’t over mix.
- Combine the currants with 1 Tablespoon of flour and add to the dough mixture. It will be very wet. Do not overbeat. You just want to incorporate the currants.
- Place dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf.
- Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a sharp knife. (Do not press the knife deeply into the dough.)
- Bake 45 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean & bread is golden brown. When you tap the loaf, it should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Note: Irish Soda Bread recipe adapted from Ina Garten, 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home.
- Slice the soda bread into 1/4-inch thin slices
- Cut each slice into a 2-inch square or rectangle until you have 16 pieces. Wrap the remaining bread in plastic wrap & store in a cool dry place.
- Mix the softened butter and chives together then spread a small amount onto each square.
- Top with a small fold of salmon & garnish with a small sprig of fresh dill.
Note: Recipe for salmon and chive butter adapted from Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, The Hearty Boys at Food Network.
Subscribe to Blog via Email