When Barbara was raising her family this was one of their favorite pasta dishes. Her youngest son always requests this delicious meal every time he visits from California and even asks her to cook this dish while visiting him. It’s a quick and easy meal.
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into 1″ pieces
- 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup chicken broth to cook broccoli
- 1/2 cup chicken broth,
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano, dried
- 6 Tablespoons butter, divided into thirds
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO + additional as needed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or frozen cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box Pasta ( we used Farfalle, use any pasta of your choice)
- reserve 1/2 cup cooked pasta water
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated for topping
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil to cook pasta.
- When water boils lower heat just to keep water hot until ready to add the pasta.
- Cook broccoli in chicken broth in a covered microwave-safe dish 6-7 minutes in a microwave. (make sure covering is vented).
- In a large skillet or flat-bottomed wok add 1/3 the butter & EVOO until heated. Add the onions and sauté until translucent and softened, Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Remove onion mixture and set aside.
- Add additional 1/3 butter and EVOO to skillet. On med-high heat add chicken pieces & lightly brown quickly on both sides, being careful not to overcook.
- Bring pasta water back to a boil and cook according to package directions.
- Reduce skillet heat and add onion mixture back to the skillet, sprinkle the dried oregano onto the chicken and onions, continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked broccoli and chicken broth to skillet and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, simmer another 3 minutes add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter to melt into the mixture.
- Add cooked pasta to chicken mixture and toss well. If needed add reserved pasta water a little at a time until the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese and serve.
Note: Sauté mushrooms in butter for a variation as shown in the last photo below.