Dad always cooked our weekend breakfasts making either eggs & bacon or ham, french toast, or pancakes. He also used to make us milk & cherry jello or a banana & vanilla wafer dessert. It was always a special treat. He loved cooking and created some memorable meals. ❤
When we were young girls, our parents always wanted us to eat liver at least once a month. Needless to say, it was torture. They made us sit at the dining room table for what seemed like hours until we finished regardless of how cold it was! Years later our dad made liver paté from chicken livers and it changed our minds about eating this organ meat. When we asked him for the recipe he couldn’t remember all the details (he’s 91 now). You can only imagine how happy we were to find his written recipe while going through our recipe files. This makes a great appetizer with Ritz crackers. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 lb chicken livers, remove fat & hard muscle then wash well.
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3/4 stick of salted butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise (we use Duke’s here in the south)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put the trimmed and washed chicken liver in a pan covered with water. Sprinkle with salt, bring to a boil then boil for 12 minutes, stirring in between.
- Drain most of the liquid out and add 3/4 stick of butter. Mash together.
- When the liver is cooled add the liver mixed with butter, the onions, eggs, and mayo into a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hr before serving.