1 large skillet (to cook zucchini for 8-10 minutes)
1 Large rimmed baking sheet
1 large spoon (to scoop out cooked zucchini)
- 4 large zucchini (Sliced in half lengthwise. Do not cut off the ends.)
- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot) (remove casings)
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 2 large garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1/3 cup Panko pork rinds (packed)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese (grated)
- 8 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (homemade or jar, with no sugar added)
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large skillet, cook halved zucchini in boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes. Drain. Scoop out insides, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Drain and mash the scooped-out zucchini. Set aside.
Place shells onto an ungreased large rimmed baking sheet.
Remove casings from sausage and cook in the same skillet for 5 minutes, breaking the meat into a crumble while cooking. Add the chopped onions and smashed garlic. Saute 3 minutes until tender. Add the mashed zucchini, Panko pork rinds, and 3/4 of the grated Pecorino-Romano cheese.
Spoon mixture into shells. Spoon tomato sauce on top to cover lengthwise. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese melts. Enjoy!
Pork Panko makes a great substitute for any recipe calling for breadcrumbs.
Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 1080mg | Potassium: 929mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 881IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 2mg