Skillet Chicken, Artichokes, Mushrooms & Onions
Before Barbara retired from the corporate world she would always ask the President of the company what his wife made the night before for dinner. Hal would come into work the next day and heat up his lunch. You cannot believe the wonderful aromas wafting through the entire office. It made everyone hungry! He told me to ask Lynda, his wife and I did. She was kind enough to send me and the entire office handwritten recipes of her chicken dishes as chicken was the only 'meat' her family would eat. She learned to make chicken many different ways and they were all delicious. Thank you Lynda for sharing them with us, you are the best!😋
- 4-6 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in (you can also use chicken breasts in place of thighs)
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 14-ounces can/jar artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- garlic powder
- dried basil
- parsley for garnish
- 2 sweet onions, cut in half then sliced
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, & basil
- In a large skillet heat the EVOO and 1 Tablespoon butter. When melted and hot, add the chicken, skin side up & fry for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Toss the onions in the lemon juice and add to skillet. Gently fry, stirring for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Pour in the white wine vinegar and chicken stock, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet, reserving the cooking juices and keep warm. Bring juices to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and add the flour. Stir well until flour in blended & smooth and juices start to thicken. Lower heat to a simmer.
- Adjust seasoning to taste if needed.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts and mushrooms then cook about 2-3 minutes
- Plate the chicken then pour sauce over each one with some artichoke hearts and mushrooms.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.