This Easter we tried a new twist on our asparagus side dish and we loved it! We adapted this recipe from Food Network Kitchen making just a few tweaks. The whole family really enjoyed this new dish and requested we make it often. Whether you make it for a side dish, appetizer, or for brunch it will definitely be a hit! Enjoy 😋
Springtime Asparagus & Cheese Tart
A bed of puff pastry, fontina & gruyere cheese, and asparagus makes this a refreshing change to plain old veggies.Jump to Recipe Print Pin Rate
- 1 large bowl for ice bath
- 1 11" x 15" rimmed baking sheet inside measurement
- parchment paper
- 1 large skillet
- 1 bunch asparagus , trimmed approximately 1-1.5" only.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry , thawed
- all-purpose flour , for dusting
- 1 cup fontina cheese , grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese , grated
- 2 Tablespoon minced shallot , may substitue with minced onion
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- In a large skillet bring 1" of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 2-5 minutes until bright green, crisp tender depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Drain and transfer to the ice bath to stop cooking; drain & pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a lightly floured clean surface, roll out thawed puff pastry into an 11" x 15" rectangle (to fit your pan). Line your baking sheet with parchment paper then transfer the rolled-out pastry into the pan. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
- While cooling the puff pastry, mix the fontina, gruyere, shallot or onion, egg yolks, milk, nutmeg, salt & pepper in a bowl until combined.
- Once puff pastry is cooled, spread the cheese mixture evenly over the puffed pastry, leaving a 1" border on all sides.
- Toss the asparagus with EVOO, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange asparagus onto the tart and bake until the cheese mixture is slightly puffy, 15-20 minutes. Garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 803IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 288mg | Iron: 2mg
Please note: Although the Nutritional Facts are provided, we are not nutritionists and therefore cannot verify the accuracy of these calculations. Please verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.
Tried this recipe? We would love to see!Mention @twiins_in_the_kitchen or tag #twiinsinthekitchen
Check out our YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFE_9i4ZkY96NT1s4IAaKaw