We have been making the original, non-keto version for many, many years using breadcrumbs, however, since breadcrumbs are not a keto food I substituted with Pork Panko, which I found in my local grocery store. It’s a delicious, easy-to-make meal that is so tasty. Stuffed zucchini is a winning dinner whether you use Italian sweet or hot sausage or bulk country sausage. Leftovers can be eaten for lunch the next day.
Keto Stuffed Zucchini
Keto version of delicious sausage stuffed zucchini.Jump to Recipe Print Pin Rate
- 1 large skillet (to cook zucchini for 8-10 minutes)
- 1 Large rimmed baking sheet
- 1 large spoon (to scoop out cooked zucchini)
- 4 large zucchini (Sliced in half lengthwise. Do not cut off the ends.)
- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot) (remove casings)
- ½ large onion (diced)
- 2 large garlic cloves (smashed)
- ⅓ cup Panko pork rinds (packed)
- ¼ cup Pecorino-Romano cheese (grated)
- 8 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (homemade or jar, with no sugar added)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, cook halved zucchini in boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes. Drain. Scoop out insides, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Drain and mash the scooped-out zucchini. Set aside.
- Place shells onto an ungreased large rimmed baking sheet.
- Remove casings from sausage and cook in the same skillet for 5 minutes, breaking the meat into a crumble while cooking. Add the chopped onions and smashed garlic. Saute 3 minutes until tender. Add the mashed zucchini, Panko pork rinds, and 3/4 of the grated Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Spoon mixture into shells. Spoon tomato sauce on top to cover lengthwise. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese melts. Enjoy!
Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 1080mg | Potassium: 929mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 881IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 2mg
Please note: Although the Nutritional Facts are provided, we are not nutritionists and therefore cannot verify the accuracy of these calculations. Please verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.
Tried this recipe? We would love to see!Mention @twiins_in_the_kitchen or tag #twiinsinthekitchen
Check out our YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFE_9i4ZkY96NT1s4IAaKaw