The key to this tasty baked chicken recipe is the combination of Mediterranean spices, creating an abundance of flavor with each bite. To ensure your chicken stays juicy keep your eye on the cooking time as it varies with chicken thickness. Our family loves this recipe and couldn’t get enough!
Mediterranean Baked Chicken
- Large Baking Pan to fit 8 chicken breasts in a single layer
- Large Zip-lock Food Bag (or plastic wrap)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Tongs to place chicken in marinade
- Measuring spoons
- 4 ea Boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 4 tsp dry oregano
- 3 tsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes, milder than dry chili flakes
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 8 cloves garlic, large, minced
- 6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra to coat baking dish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 medium onion, halved & thinly sliced
- 6-8 Campari tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Pat chicken dry and slice lengthwise to get 2 pieces of chicken breast from each breast. You should have a total of 8 pieces.
- Place 2 breasts at a time in a large plastic food bag. Use the flat side of a mallet to evenly flatten the chicken. Repeat until all 8 pieces are flattened.
- Season both sides with Kosher salt & pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl add the EVOO, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, paprika, sumac and aleppo pepper. (Do not add the parsley & basil at this time). Combine well then add chicken until fully coated.
- Lightly oil a large baking dish or pan to coat the bottom. Spread the thinly sliced onions over the bottom and arrange the chicken on top (single layer). Place tomatoes on top & pour remaining liquid on top of chicken & tomatoes.
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil then bake for 10 minutes covered.
- Remove the cover and bake about 6 minutes until chicken registers 165° F. It can take more or less time, depending on chicken thickness so keep an eye on it.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve.