Quick Tomato Sauce - Twiins Style
Don’t have time to make a pot of tomato sauce? This quick and easy sauce can be made in no time at all with staple ingredients from your pantry.
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 2 frozen Dorot garlic cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Hunt’s Italian style tomato paste with garlic & basil
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (more or less to taste)
- Immersion blender
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, heat the oil and add the garlic cubes. Sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well for a minute. Add the stewed tomatoes and stir well until the tomato paste is blended.
- Add 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning and simmer for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender right in the saucepan, purée the tomato mixture and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
Note: Makes enough sauce for our Baked Stuffed Eggplant & Sardines (4) plus a few spoonfuls to top spaghetti.
Pantry & Freezer Staples:
2 cans stewed tomatoes, plain or Italian style, preferably Hunt’s
2 cans diced tomatoes, plain or Italian style, preferably Hunt’s
2 cans tomato paste, preferably Hunt’s with garlic & basil
1 tray Dorot’s frozen garlic cubes (you can get these at Target and most Harris Teeter grocery stores)