Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
We're keeping things simple for Thanksgiving this year so we will forgo the traditional apple pie & pumpkin cheesecake for our (OH so simple & delicious) gluten-free apple crisp. Not having to make pie crust saves a lot of time in the kitchen with better than pie results! We use Gala apples for this recipe as they are juicy, sweet, and hold their shape well. It’s a big hit with our family by itself or topped with a little vanilla ice cream or a Klondike Heath Bar divided (pictured below).
- cast-iron skillet (10-inch preferred but 12-inch will do)
- 5-7 large Gala apples (approximately 1200 g), peeled, cored & cut into wedges
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 water
- Crispy Topping
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour (we use Bob’s Redmill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 2½ Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2½ Tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) salted melted butter
- 3/4 oats (regular old fashioned or Quaker 1 minute)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl place the apples, lemon juice, white sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Toss until all apples are well coated and combined. Set aside.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a heated cast-iron skillet.
- Add the 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Stir to combine well.
- Add the apple mixture to the skillet, mix well. On medium-low heat keep a simmer while preparing the topping.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, 2½ Tablespoons of brown sugar, 2½ Tablespoons of white sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Once combined, add the 8 Tablespoons of melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Add the oats and chopped pecans.
- Stir the apples in the skillet, liquid should start to thicken. Add 1/4 cup of water over the apples and combine. It will create a syrupy mixture when done.
- Remove skillet from the heat and sprinkle the crispy topping mixture evenly over the top.
- Place the entire cast-iron skillet in a pre-heated 375º F over and bake for 35 minutes until the crispy top is golden brown edges are bubbling.
- Best served while hot but delicious cold or at room temperature too. Top with vanilla ice cream for an added treat!
Note: To cut your total prep time in half, peel, core & slice your apples ahead of time. Sprinkle some lemon juice on them to prevent apples from turning brown then cover & refrigerate until you start the mixing portion of ingredients.