Like many children, and some adults too, we didn't like eating carrots growing up. We don't remember who came up with the idea, mom or dad, but they creatively added them to the mashed potatoes then proceeded to tell us they were orange mashed potatoes. We loved them! Weren't they smart getting us to eat a healthy vegetable? Teresa carried that tradition on with her family who also loved them. 😋 😋
- 2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut in half then cut in quarters
- 4-5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt for water
- 3/4 – 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick salted butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place carrots in a large saucepan filled with water to hold the carrots and the potatoes. Bring carrots to a boil and add 1 Tablespoon kosher salt. Boil the carrots for 6-8 minutes. Add the cut potatoes.
- Bring to a full boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat & drain well. Place potatoes and carrots back into saucepan & return to low heat. Stir constantly for about 1 minute to remove any excess liquid.
- Remove from the heat. Add the butter. Using a handheld masher, mash the butter into the potatoes and carrots. Add enough cream & salt & pepper to taste. Continue mashing until the desired texture is achieved.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Notes: In place of hand mashing you can use a hand mixer.