Fried Calamari - Gluten-Free
Whenever we go out together for dinner we always order fried calamari if it's on the menu. Unfortunately for Jack, restaurants never make it gluten-free. This leaves him feeling left out and having to settle for soup or salad. We decided to test a gluten-free batch that he would enjoy at home. Turns out they were so good you can't tell the difference. So if any of your loved ones need to eat gluten-free, give this recipe a try. Who needs restaurants when you can serve up a tender batch in no time at all!
- 1 lb calamari – fresh or frozen & thawed.
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Flour
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- dipping sauce of your choice (Red Chili Pepper Spread, marinara sauce, chipotle mayo, etc.)
- Rinse under cold water and dry the calamari well using paper towels or a clean dishtowel. Slice into 1/2-inch rings.
- In a medium bowl, mix the gluten-free flour and seasonings. Combine well.
- Toss rings into the flour mixture to coat well.
- Fry small batches at a time in hot vegetable oil for 1½ – 2 minutes; don’t exceed 2 minutes or they will be overcooked & rubbery. They should be a pale golden color.
- When cooked, remove quickly to paper towels to drain excess oil then repeat for the next batch.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or eat them just as they are.