Italian Sausage and Peppers
Italian Sausage & Peppers has been a favorite in our family for as long as we can remember. Typically our parents and grandparents used only green bell peppers but we always liked to use a mix of red, orange and yellow bells for taste and pop of color. For an easy weeknight dinner-this Classic Italian meal is delicious and if there are any leftovers you can combine with scrambled eggs for breakfast or sandwiches for lunch the next day! It’s so easy and quick to cook you’ll surely want to make this a regular item on your menu. Whether you serve it casually as a sandwich or over your favorite pasta you’re family or guests will love it. 😋😋
- 12 Italian Sausage links (mix sweet and hot together for a little heat)
- 2 Red Bell peppers, sliced lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Yellow Bell peppers, sliced lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Orange Bell Peppers, sliced lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Green Bell pepper (Optional), sliced lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, sliced thick
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet (we use a 16-inch electric skillet with lid) heat 2 Tablespoons of EVOO on medium.
- Place all sausages in a covered skillet and brown on all sides. (Cook sausages in 2 batches if using a smaller skillet).
- Once browned add oregano, peppers, and onions and cook covered 7-10 minutes until vegetables are softened and slightly charred/browned. Stir regularly.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- At this point, you can serve hot as is or add some Basic Tomato Sauce and serve over pasta or rice.
Notes: It’s important to cook the sausage & peppers in a covered skillet to keep in the juices and get the sausages tender. This recipe can be doubled or tripled for a large party gathering. It’s always a big hit and chances are there won’t be any leftovers!