Refreshing Cucumber, Tomatoes & Dill Salad
Every year Gary & I along with Teresa & Jack, celebrate 4th of July on the USS Battleship NC. We sit on the deck with our friends and neighbors and have great conversations, shared laughs and view the most spectacular fireworks display. Everyone brings their own chairs, snacks, food, and drinks. My friend and neighbor, Rob Sherman, brought the most delicious cucumber, tomato & dill salad to share. It was delicious! He said he found the recipe on the internet some time ago & has been making it ever since. We are happy to share Rob's recipe with you. It's light and refreshing for these hot, humid summer nights & naturally gluten-free. Rob, we thank you for sharing your recipe with us so we can pass it along!
- 4 medium cucumbers, sliced 1/8 inch thick rounds, skin on. (We used a mandolin slicer for uniform slices)
- 2-3 whole tomatoes, quartered or 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half (more or less if you prefer)
- 2-3 Tablespoons red onion, sliced thin then chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- In a large bowl combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Whisk together.
- Add the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and dill then toss to combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight to allow the flavors to come together.
- Taste and season with additional salt or pepper if needed before serving.
Notes: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 3 days.
I recently made this salad with grilled flank steak, chimichurri, and a jasmine rice medley. Pairs well with our Slow Cooker Spare Ribs and corn on the cob.
This recipe is naturally Gluten-Free.