Keto Omelet with Bacon
Last year I gave the Keto diet a try and was pleasantly surprised when my doctor told me to keep doing what I was doing as my labs came back great and I lost 25 pounds! So what did I do? I went to Italy! When we returned from our trip it was very hard to go back on Keto 100%. Well, Teresa is off to Greece so I'm back on Keto. For those of you eating Keto, this is a quick and easy breakfast that satiates you until dinner time and it's a tasty way to start your day. You don't have to follow a Keto diet to enjoy this hearty breakfast!🥓 😋
- 2 large eggs, beat well with a fork
- A 1/4-inch thick slice of onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil (I use LouAna® Coconut Oil, it has no coconut aroma or taste to distract from your other ingredients.)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 slices of bacon (preferably with no antibiotics, sugar-free, & nitrate free)
- 1-2 Tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese (may be substituted with your favorite cheese)
- 1 tsp fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a small baking sheet with foil and place the 3 slices of bacon on top.
- Cook 4 minutes then turn and cook another 2-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels (You will have perfectly rendered bacon fat that can be stored in a glass container in the refrigerator for future sautéing).
- In a small skillet on medium heat place 1/2 tsp coconut oil.
- Add the bell peppers and onions, salt & pepper. Saute until translucent.
- Lower heat & add the eggs and stir quickly to mix in the peppers & onions.
- Gently cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is set and can be flipped over.
- Flip eggs and sprinkle Swiss cheese on top.
- Cook another 1-2 minutes until eggs are fully cooked but not overcooked.
- Slide omelet onto a dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Add the cooked bacon and enjoy!
Notes: This recipe is naturally Gluten-Free.