Decadent Cannoli Cupcakes, Gluten-Free
These delicious and decadent cupcakes are a combination of our best version of cannoli cream filling along with an orange zest & vanilla gluten-free cupcake, topped with chocolate ganache, cannoli cream, sliced almonds & citron. Anyone saying gluten-free is flat & tasteless hasn't tasted these. The taste is amazing...and they are easy to make. If you're a cannoli fan, you will love these cupcakes.😋 😋
- 8 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Fior di Sicilia
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 flour
- 1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder (Rumford)
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking soda (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk take a 1/2 cup of milk and add 1½ tsp vinegar, stir & let sit for 10 minutes.)
- 1/4 recipe Italian Cannoli Cream – Twiins Style
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet chocolate chips (for ganache)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (for ganache)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease and flour a cupcake pan & set aside. (Paper liners may be used in place of grease & flour).
- Using a hand mixer, beat the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Add the orange zest, vanilla, and Fiori di Sicilia. Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt & buttermilk.
- Beat mixture until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly divide the batter into the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on a cooling rack about 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooled, remove cupcakes from pan and set on a baking sheet to decorate.
- Using a small paring knife, take a cooled cupcake and cut a circular cone out of the center at approximately a 45º angle and to a depth of 1-inch.
- Keep the top part of the cut-out portion on the side as you will put it back into the cupcake after filling with cannoli cream.
- Fill hole using a pastry bag and replace the cut-out piece of cake over the filling. Press in place.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, add the chocolate chips and the heavy cream. Whisk briskly until shiny & smooth and completely melted.
- Using a spoon, spread the ganache on the top of each cupcake. Put in refrigerator to set.
- Once set, take cannoli filling and pipe around the top of the cupcake using a pastry bag.
- Garnish with candied citron and sliced almonds.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Notes: Can also be garnished with chopped pistachios or candied orange peel.
This recipe can be made with regular all-purpose flour if gluten is not an issue.