Stuffed Mushrooms Alla Grandma Florence, Gluten-Free
One of the dishes we missed most at the holidays was Grandma Florence's stuffed mushrooms. Wow were they delizioso! 😋 We are excited we nailed it as they taste just like Grandma's did. We're happy to share it with you and hope you enjoy them as much as our family does. These can be served as appetizers, a side dish to a roast, chicken, veal or pasta or a main dish if using large Portobello mushrooms.
- 28 Baby Bella Mushrooms (1 – 1/2 inches wide)
- 10 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup 4C Gluten-Free Seasoned Bread Crumbs (may substitute with regular Italian seasoned bread crumbs if gluten is not an issue)
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, melted to combine with bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter to sauté mushroom stems
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Wash & clean all the mushrooms, gently removing the stems. Set stems aside to chop.
- Dry mushrooms well with paper towels.
- Line a baking pan with tin foil and drizzle EVOO just to coat the pan.
- Place the mushrooms on the baking pan.
- In a small skillet on high heat, sauté the mushroom stems with 1 Tablespoon of butter, about 5 minutes until butter is absorbed.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the breadcrumbs, grated cheese, oregano, parsley, melted butter, and minced garlic. Mix well then add the sautéed mushroom stems. Combine well.
- Using a small spoon, spoon mixture into each mushroom cap (about 2 spoonfuls for each)
- Place into a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or just until golden.
- Remove from oven. Let sit about 5 minutes then serve.
Notes: We also made a batch of large Portobello mushrooms that were a meal in themselves with a side salad!