Chili - Award Winning Twiins Style, Gluten-Free🌶🌶
We are so excited to share with you our chili recipe which today took first place for 'Traditional Chili' at Brunswick Forest Fitness & Wellness Center's '3rd Annual Chili & Mac n' Cheese Cook-Off'. We are especially excited that the chili was judged by several professional chefs & owner from our local area restaurants including Executive Chef Scott Euvrard from The Forest at Cape Fear National, Sous Chef Jon Michael Rehm from UNCW, Chef Garrett Swain from The Joyce Irish Pub, and Tom Mills, owner of Little Pond Catering. Thank you so much for voting for our chili.
- 2 to 2.5 lbs 80% lean chuck ground beef
- 2 lbs Neese’s hot sausage
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, seeds & ribs removed, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeds & ribs removed, diced
- 2 cans black beans (15-ounce)
- 1 can kidney beans (15-ounce)
- 2 cans cannellini beans (15-ounce)
- 1 can pinto beans (15-ounce)
- 2 can tomato sauce (15-ounces)
- 1/2 tsp mild green chiles
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes with Lime & Cilantro in liquid
- 2 packets McCormick’s Gluten-Free Chili mix (regular may be substituted if gluten is not an issue)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- smidge of Harissa paste (much less than 1/8 tsp)
- In a large dutch oven brown the meat, using a slotted spoon remove the meat & set aside. Discard all except 2 Tablespoons of remaining liquid in dutch oven to sauté the vegetables.
- Add bell peppers & onions to the dutch oven & cook about 10 minutes until onions start to turn golden. Add garlic, chili mix, mild green chiles, salt, pepper, cumin, harissa paste, and smoked paprika, combine well then cook another minute.
- Return meat mixture back to dutch oven and mix well.
- Add Hunt’s tomato sauce. Mix well and cook for 1 minute. Add all the beans with their liquid. Bring to a boil, then cover with lid partially open & reduce heat to low, stirring regularly for 2 hours.
- Remove cover and continue to cook on low 30 minutes or longer until chili thickens to your liking. (We love thick chili!)
- Ladle into bowls. Serve hot with your favorite garnishes: Sour Cream, green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, guacamole and our Rustic Cornbread-Gluten Free. Enjoy!
Notes: To say that Jack & Gary love spicy food is an understatement. If it were up to them, we would be eating this chili every other night! The blend of beef, sausage, beans, & spices makes this a delicious hearty chili for any night of the week and oh so simple to make. Our recipe is for a crowd so if you’re just feeding a few, cut the recipe in half. Any leftover chili can be frozen for 3-4 months at zero degrees in the freezer. Serve with your favorite toppings. For those who like extreme heat like our husbands, add your favorite hot sauce, chili peppers or Sriracha.
Our chili recipe originated from Teresa’s daughter Tracy, a long time ago. Over the years we have adapted it to what it is today. Thank you Tracy. ❤️