Date Nut Bread
I have been making this date nut bread every Christmas morning for what seems like forever! Originally I got this recipe from my longtime friend, Linda O'Donnell. We were next door neighbors and best friends since 1970. A lot of baking went on between us during our children's youth. Every Christmas morning Gary & I would spread some cream cheese on a slice, grab a cup of coffee and watch the kids open presents. We absolutely love it.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9¼ x 5¼ x 2¾ loaf pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter & brown sugar with dates.
- Pour the boiling water over the date mixture and cool.
- When cool, add beaten egg & dry ingredients. Beat well.
- Add nuts & vanilla. Stir well.
- Bake in loaf pan for 1 hour & 10 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center.
- When slightly cool, remove from loaf pan and continue cooling on rack.
- After completely cooled, cover in plastic wrap to keep moist.
Subscribe to Blog via Email