Date Nut Bread
I have been making this date nut bread every Christmas morning for what seems like forever! Originally I got this recipe from my longtime friend, Linda O'Donnell. We were next door neighbors and best friends since 1970. A lot of baking went on between us during our children's youth. Every Christmas morning Gary & I would spread some cream cheese on a slice, grab a cup of coffee and watch the kids open presents. We absolutely love it.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9¼ x 5¼ x 2¾ loaf pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter & brown sugar with dates.
- Pour the boiling water over the date mixture and cool.
- When cool, add beaten egg & dry ingredients. Beat well.
- Add nuts & vanilla. Stir well.
- Bake in loaf pan for 1 hour & 10 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center.
- When slightly cool, remove from loaf pan and continue cooling on rack.
- After completely cooled, cover in plastic wrap to keep moist.
Note: No need to wait for Christmas! Enjoy this anytime with cream cheese or butter spread on top.
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or Tag @twinsinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #twiinsinthekitchen.
Subscribe to Blog via Email